Saturday 31 January 2015

Why does the communication of extreme weather matter?

Good does a framing analysis to explore the story of climate change at a specific moment. She argues that there should be a shift from "Is climate change happening" to "What should we do about it?". For her argument she employs a comparative analysis of American, Canadian and International newspapers to see how they are framing climate change. An example of this is the snowstorm that took place in New York. All news channels were covering the storm and talking about how big it was going to be. I also agree with my classmates in saying that news channel often over dramatize the weather and label it as breaking news or alerts. However, I think that the communication of extreme is very important no matter how they do it. Good explains that the framing of climate change has many different perspectives and there is always a discussion about whether or not scientist are correct in their findings and whether or not news is correct. For scientist, it is said that they lack communication skills and news channels lack factual information. However, I think that regardless of the news channel being right or wrong, or even the scientist, the communication of extreme weather matters no matter what. Individuals rely on media to find out what they should expect everyday and news channels rely on scientist for that information. It's more so a chain of communication. If the storm has turned out to be huge then everyone would have been thankful for the consistent storm updates for what to expect.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/lmu7eu/snowpocalypse-2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abDSppJUD-0



A tow truck driver floats a car out of the Don Valley Parkway on Monday, July 8 2013.An example that came to my mind during the discussion was the sudden severe storm that led to a flood in Toronto on July 8, 2013. Many commuters, families, tourist and residents were unaware of the upcoming storm. There was coverage for heavy rain but no mention of the chance of a flood. People were stranded for hours in their car waiting for emergency teams to come and rescue them. I remember that day really well because I had been working in Downtown Toronto that summer. I was commuting everyday back and forth from Niagara. During my workday, everyone had mentioned that there would be a storm but no one was panicking. When the day came to an end, everyone was on their way home and still there was no panic. Thankfully I finished work on time and caught the 4:30 p.m. bus back home. If I had stayed even a little later and taken the 5:15 p.m. bus I would have been stranded as well. When I came home, I remember my dad asking if everything was okay and I had no idea what he was talking about until I turned to my social media networks and news channels about what was going on. I was quite thankful for missing the flood that day but if I had been stranded, I would have hoped for news channel to communicate the warning early in the day. This is where I think extra caution in situations such as the New York storm is important because as climate change increases, the weather becomes unpredictable. Although, media channels may dramatize extreme weather coverage and scientist may not be able to communicate, the awareness of weather is important. Individuals need to time for preparation! Advancement in technology is the only way to better predict what's about to happen in specific areas, even if they may be wrong sometimes. Being prepared and knowing about it is beneficial regardless. Without communication, many would not have survived various other storms.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/08/14/july_flood_ontarios_most_costly_natural_disaster.html

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-floods-a-look-at-the-storm-s-toll-by-the-numbers-1.1359574

No comments:

Post a Comment